How similar are music and language and do you think learning one would help in understanding the other?
When I first began to lean music theory I was told that notes put together on a page can make a "musical sentence." There is a beginning and an end withing a measure, like a sentence has a beginning end it ends with a period. In music the period can be seen as a bar line. Music and language are similar in which they can convey emotion and they can make people feel certain ways and react in different ways as well. Music, like language, varies from country to country. Western music is composed in a different way than say Indian music. The two use different combinations of notes and patterns. A piece of western music that is meant to give off happy tones and an Indian piece meant to do the same will not sound similar. The Indian one might sound sad when in fact a person living in India, would see it as a joyous piece. I am not sure in learning music would help you understand language more, maybe on a emotional level but as far far learning how to speak it I don't think it would be too much help. I am trying to think of an example, what I can get at is say a person is learning the concept of sad and what it means. Listening to a "sad" piece of music might help them to grasp the concept. I suppose music that has lyrics would be the largest aid because sometimes when learning new phrases, it is easier to remember if it is either put to music of arranged in a rhyming way. I can see this as being an efficient tool to learning a new language. The two can go hand in hand in certain situations, I feel that it would be beneficial to a person to learn from both about each other.
Question: What is one way that using music could help to say, teach a child how to read?
No comments:
Post a Comment