Check this out before you explore my blog!

A Made by Survivors product is also featured on the right side of the page, click the picture to find out more!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

In response to Mariah's question about art and history

Do you think art is an effective history and story teller if given the chance to be understood and explained?


I originally planned to major in art history because it fascinates me and I have always loved the subject. I see art as another way to understand history. People study it to understand more about the past and it can be used to gather information quite accurately. What is useful about art and understanding history is that many pieces represent how a certain period in time was. This can be what the fashions of the time were, what the people's houses looked like, what sorts of everyday tools they used, what their musical instruments looked like, and what food they ate. To be able to see these things instead of just reading about them creates a more in depth study. You can actually see the faces of people from history. You can look into the eyes of say, Henry VIII and think about what he was thinking when his portrait was painted. I find it fascinating to know that I am looking at an actual picture of these people were have read about for centuries. Art is a great tool to use for learning about history. I find much more interesting than reading a huge book!People should try and give studying art a chance to see how much they can gain from it. Walk inside a museum, see the art, and read the description. You might learn more than you think.


Question: Do you like going to art museums? A lot of people think it is utterly boring, how about you?

2 comments: