I enjoy art that you would find in the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown or in the Metropolitan Museum of art in New York City. I love looking into the past through the work of those brilliant artists. So much time, preparation, and inspiration went into those works and it shows. The artists were so moved by what they saw that they put it down onto a canvas. This is the art I can appreciate. Along with the Clark, Mass MoCA is also in the area. I try and visit every few months just to expose myself to contemporary art, most of the time I am just confused, disgusted, or just plain mad at what I see. I do want to continue to keep an open mind though, I do not want to stay within one period of art since I want to work in the art scene. I feel I need to educate myself in all art forms, that doesn't mean I have to like them all. Some of the pieces in MoCA seem elementary, which makes me think why have them be put up and revered as great art? I child could do it, I could do it for that matter. I would like to quote something I saw online the other day about modern art. It was a math equation and it said the following; Modern art = I Could Do That + Yeah But You Didn't. I laughed out loud at this because it is so true, Robert Rauschenberg's white canvas paintings are so famous because he was the first to think of that. He came up with the idea, someone in the art world liked it, and the rest is history. We can look at it all we want, but it will not change the fact that yes, it is incredibly simple but considered great art none the less. Shock art like this really irritates me but I do not have to like it or appreciate it, I will stand by my opinions but still be willing to see new art. I love how art that hangs in the Clark emits hard work and precise measurements. Those artists were truly talented and they could capture the world almost as if they were taking a picture. That is what I personally consider great art.
Question: Do you feel that you are open minded toward new art forms? When you go to places like Mass MoCA do you enter with no bias and are ready to take in what you see?
No comments:
Post a Comment