Check this out before you explore my blog!

A Made by Survivors product is also featured on the right side of the page, click the picture to find out more!

Friday, April 22, 2011

An uncomfortable topic

Torture is something that makes me extremely uncomfortable. It is obviously not a positive subject that is easy to hear about but I feel it effects me more than others. These discussions will be difficult for me. I am really sensitive to the subject, especially seeing it in movies. I know that what I am watching is just actors, but seeing an other human being is such terror makes me panic. When ever I am watching something and it comes up I have to look away and sometimes even block my ears to avoid hearing the noises coming from the tortured person. Even just talking about the different forms of torture mentioned in the essay made me cringe. This will be a difficult topic to blog about. There have been many times watching movies with people and I get so disturbed I almost start crying, of course who ever I am with just looks at me like I am crazy because they know it is not real. To me mental and physical torture are equally effective and awful. Granted some people's pain tolerance is quite high, I can imagine it is still terrible to endure. The mental portion might outweigh the physical in that situation because you wonder how much worse the torture will get and how much you can handle before you break. I have heard examples of both situations and each seem equally unbearable. I see no way to say that any form of torture is morally "OK." Sometimes we think we don't care if it is a terrorist or a mass murder in something like a ticking bomb scenario, but where do we draw the line? It is cruel in any scenario. 


Question: Is talking about and/or seeing torture difficult for you? Is it to the extreme like me or are you interested as well as disturbed? 

1 comment: