This is an entry I wrote yesterday on my personal blog but after today's class discussion I found it to be quite appropriate to post here as well.
I work in my colleges art gallery and since being here I have been exposed to new forms of art that I have never seen or even heard of before. I feel that this has helped me grow as a person who craves a career within the arts. I have always been skeptical of contemporary art. I go to school minutes from Mass MoCA and while I find the building beautiful and the art impressive, I have a hard time thinking "that's great art!" Much of it makes me confused and I wonder what motivated the artist to create such a piece. For example, I am currently sitting in the school's gallery listening to Tuvan throat singing. You might ask where is it coming from if you were to enter the gallery. Well the answer to that would be this, it is coming from the mouth of a baby doll who is representing Jesus Christ. This doll is in a cradle with metal arms and legs and its eye are off center. I wooden white cross is hanging above him. Now, was that one of your guesses? I highly doubt it, this show contains all student art. I do not know who created the moaning Jesus so I can not tell you their motivation for creating such a work. It is fascinating to ponder, but to be honest I can not look at it for too long, it's presentation makes me skin crawl. Even the singing is eerie just because I know where it is coming from. I currently have my favorite Pandora jazz station on to drown it out. I have experience other such art that gives me the same reaction, and I wonder if that is what the artist intends. Maybe they want you to feel that way. I am constantly learning about new forms of art and expanded my knowledge.
Question: How do you react to art that makes you uncomfortable? Do you like how it evokes that emotion in you or do you find yourself wanting to get away from it and not consider it art at all?
I responded to your question.
ReplyDelete