I work at a summer camp for young children. I have heard it all when it comes to one of my little four year olds not wanting to do something, "I don't wanna!" "no, I hate it outside!" "I don't like crafts!" "It's too hot outside!" "It's cold out!" The funny part is I usually can persuade them to reconsider, at that age if their whole environment is not fun and exciting constantly they get bored and want to move onto something else (once they are "ready" of course, which can cause problems to rise). Then if you have a child who has obviously been spoiled excessively it gets even worse. Usually the excuses are not said because they genuinely do not want to do something, they just don't know if they will like it or they are bored at the moment and have another idea in mind of what they know will be fun for them or they are happy enough with what they are doing at the time. So in this case "want" means something else. They do not "not want" to go play outside, they just do not want to give in after they have decided to do something else. This is what I have observed at least. I have seen children cry and scream because they do not want to stop what ever game we are playing or craft we are making, then once we actually move onto something else they are fine. So is this a matter of what they truly want or not want to do? Or are they just trying to mess with me and see how far they can push my buttons. I think that deep down they do have a curiosity and a want to try new activities with the hopes that it will be exciting and fun, even if they don't want to admit it.
Question: Do children as well as adults apply to the statement, "you want to do everything you do?" Do you think a child's actions are more linked to "want" than an adults?
No comments:
Post a Comment