Since coming to college I have encountered many people who stand by lots of different beliefs. I saw this in high school obviously too, but I have noticed that in college people start to become more set in their beliefs. What I have noticed that is what surprises me the most is the majority of people I have met seem to not be religious at all. At least this is how they carry themselves. I know there are “holiday Christians” as I have heard people referred to as calls them, these are people who decide that showing up at church on Christmas and Easter are enough to consider themselves a practicing Christian. Many people are this way, including many of my close friends. There is nothing wrong with this, as long as you understand who you are. Some people do not like attending church on a regular basis and in turn do not tend to live their lives with a strong attention to religion. This could be what I am seeing with many people I have met since coming to college. Maybe other people my age do not choose to express their spirituality because they feel they do not have to. Maybe they were brought up in a household that forced them to go to church or maybe not. Whatever the reason, it seems that now a day’s young adults live their lives with no spiritual guidance at all. I wonder why this is, is it more than just a result of a “church-forced” childhood? Are we a generation of people who do not see religion as an important part of a person’s life? There are many ways to have faith and people express that faith in various ways and to different degrees, but I have noticed that there is a large number of young adults who take no part of religion at all, they say they do not believe in any kind of God. Our parent’s generation was not brought up like this. This leads me to my question…
Is it just a generational occurrence that a large amount of today’s young adults tend to not follow any spiritual path?
No comments:
Post a Comment