Natalie, the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks was slammed for her comment on national television about George Bush. She had said she said she was ashamed to say she was from Texas because that is where Bush lived. They band was then shunned from Country music, they were taken off the radio and bashed by countless people, celebrities or not. This was a huge overreaction. I will say it was an extremely bad decision to say that sort of statement in front of millions of people, but still she is entitled to her opinion. People, even celebrities, have their views on our government and it is unfair that they can never express them without being attacked. I wanted to post the video for the song the band wrote after all this had happened. Check it out, it's obvious that they have some strong opinions about the ordeal.
Question: What are your thoughts about this? Was she justified in saying what she did and did they deserve the backlash?
LOVED this post, Jenny. Forgot how much I loved that song.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'll be responding to your question.
I like it too, she deserved the right to fight back at all the shit she was getting.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree. Someone should be able to state whatever the hell they want without it destroying them! Just because Natalie is in a band that was really well known at that point in time doesn't give her listeners to backlash.
ReplyDeleteYes, it changes the view on her, but music is music..