Check this out before you explore my blog!

A Made by Survivors product is also featured on the right side of the page, click the picture to find out more!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Should the theory evolution be taught in school?

  I have experienced a lot relating to this question in my own life. In high school I remember my science teacher saying that we would not have a lesson on evolution but it would be brought up at various points. She made a whole speech about how she was not trying to push her beliefs on anyone and that she was not saying that evolution was right or wrong. I remember thinking that it was not necessary to say all that, would people really be offended is we talked about evolution in a science class? It is a scientific theory and there should be no problem with discussing it in an academic setting. I have heard that the majority of schools no not touch upon the subject at all, or just very little. I feel like children should be exposed to all the theory's that are present about how our world and ourselves as humans began. Then they are free to make their own decisions. What their family believes is going to have a larger impact on them in the end anyway.

   I know someone who went to a Christian middle school and they did not even teach science at all. That's right, nothing. I see that as ridiculous. How can a human being become a knowledgeable and functioning member of society without learning anything in the sciences? I can understand why they do not implement this into their school system, but I am a Christian and I would not be OK with my child getting that kind of sheltered and suppressed education. A school setting is somewhere where religion should be put aside and the knowledge and understanding of the world for a child should be the only focus. 

Question: Are there subjects that you feel should be discussed in schools that are not because of fear of offending people?

1 comment: