There are many motives behind why people help others. They could be to make ourself feel better or to simply not think about ourself for once and put our energy towards another. I feel like it is usually a combination of both. I put myself in this situation and thought, why do I donate to charities or pick up something that I see someone has dropped and give it back to them? Yes I feel better about myself for doing it, but maybe that is alright. I still wanted to help them out, why does it matter if I get something back in return? I feel that we would never do these types of things if we got nothing in return, not even a good feeling for doing the right thing. What would be our motivation? We are self-centered beings, but I do not see that as a bad quality all of the time.
I am involved closely with an organization that works with victims of human trafficking and sex slavery in India. The organization is called The Emancipation Network. I got involved because I have met the founder and I know many people who have traveled to Calcutta to the shelters run by TEN to work with the young girls and women who are starting a new life after being free of living in that horrible forced lifestyle. This is why I am so heavily involved, I have personal connections. Yes, I feel like I am becoming a better person by donating and holding events to raise money for this cause, but that is not a bad thing. Don't we all want to be people who make a positive difference in the world? I feel like I can help to do that by working with TEN. I donate my time and money because I want to help the survivors have a better life. It makes me feel good to do so as well and I see nothing wrong with that. I believe I would not be as happy with my life as I am if I did not care about any organizations that help others and if I never participated in some action that was to benefit another person.
Here is the link to Made by Survivors,which is a project where the girls make wonderful products that they sell to make money after being rescued. I have bought many items and they are all wonderful. Check it out!!
www.madebysurvivors.com
On that site you can also learn more about The Emancipation Network in general.
Question: Who is more inclined to donate money, people who have a lot of it or people who have just enough to get by?
I have responded to your question in my blog.
ReplyDelete